August 6, 2012

Almond Butter Oatmeal Cookies (Vegan)

These are the most delicious vegan cookies you will ever eat! I have been experimenting with various types of oatmeal cookies for the past few weeks and haven't found a recipe I absolutely loved until I made these.

I got the original idea for the recipe from a blog I like, vegAnn's Kitchen. I made a few modifications to it based on my personal preferences. I reduced the sugar and added a bit more maple syrup. I also added some of my favorite cookie ingredients like shredded coconut, dried fruit, cinnamon and walnuts. The end result is a delicious, nutty and soft cookie with a hint of sweetness.

Almond Butter Oatmeal Cookies


Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 15 Min
Ingredients

Dry Ingredients
2 cups flour
2 cups rolling oats (I used quick cooking oats)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Optional Dry Ingredients (I used them, you could add or omit any of them if you like)
1 tbs cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup of dried fruit (I used dried cranberries and apples)
1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
1/4 cup of shredded coconut
Dash of flaxseed

Wet Ingredients
3/4 cup safflower oil (I used safflower but you could use any vegetable oil)
3/4 cup almond butter
1 cup organic evaporated cane juice (you could also substitute regular sugar)
2 tbs organic maple syrup
1/2 cup vanilla almond milk (I used unsweetened almond coconut milk)
2 tsp vanilla extract


Directions

- Heat oven to 350F. Lightly grease two baking sheets.

- Combine all of the dry ingredients except the sugar in a medium bowl. Mix wet ingredients including sugar in a separate, larger bowl, with a whisk. Add dry to wet and mix until combined. Use a 1/3 dry measuring cup to measure each cookie. Pop dough out on to baking sheet and press down on the dough forming the cookie until 1/2 inch thick. Repeat for remaining dough until you have 12 cookie shapes.

Combining the Wet and Dry Mixes

Putting the dough into 1/3 cup for cookie shaping

Take the 1/3 cup and tap lightly on top to release dough onto baking sheet

Cookies once shaped, ready to go in oven

- Bake until lightly browned, about 12-15 minutes. The cookies will not firm up until they are pulled out of the oven and allowed to cool. Wait 10 minutes to remove from tray.

Yields 1 dozen large cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment