August 22, 2012

Pumpkin Pecan Cookies

I stumbled upon this cookie recipe while in the bulk food aisle of Whole Foods; I knew I could use up the leftover pumpkin puree I had in the fridge. The cookies turned out to be yummy and nutritious. I added a chocolate drizzle because there is no sugar added to the cookies and I like mine to have a little sweetness. The recipe calls for orange juice which has a lot of sugar naturally; I ended up using an orange carrot juice blend instead with a little less sugar. I would suggest adding a tablespoon or two of maple syrup to the cookies for additional flavor depth. The original recipe also called for one cup of chopped pitted dates which I did not utilize and added some dried cranberries instead.

Pumpkin Pecan Cookies with Chocolate Drizzle

 
 
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 20 Min
 
Ingredients
 
- 2 cups pecans
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
 - 3/4 cup pureed pumpkin
- 3/4 cup of orange juice (I used an orange carrot juice blend with less sugar)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- chocolate drizzle (optional)
 
Directions
 
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- In a food processor or blender, pulse pecans and oats about 20 times until a coarse meal forms
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves and pulse another 20 times to mix well
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl
- Add pumpkin, orange juice, vanilla and cranberries
 
 
 
- Stir to mix well. Mixture will be kind of thick like a frosting
- Drop on a lightly greased baking sheet in about 2 tbs size drops. Flatten the batter slightly to shape.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom.
- Makes about 8 cookies.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate and refrigerate, if desired



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment