August 7, 2012

Baked Oatmeal Muffins

I love making Baked Oatmeal and today I saw a post on Pinterest for Oatmeal Muffins. I didn't use the recipe however I did steal the idea for baking the oatmeal in muffin cups. Nick is always in need of a grab-n-go breakfast and these are the perfect idea. I decided to make the Baked Oatmeal but with a few modifications this time based on what I had available. I added some pumpkin because I had about 1/4 a cup left in the fridge and then instead of strawberries and bananas, I used pears and apples. You could easily omit the pumpkin and add any fruit you like. They turned out great and they don't have all of the carbs of a regular muffin because they don't have flour :)

Yummy Pear and Apple Oatmeal Muffins

Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 25 Min

Ingredients

- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar and additional for topping
- 2 tbs cinnamon
- 1 tbs nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Dash of salt
- Handful of dried fruit (I used apples and cranberries)
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- 2 cups of milk (I used 1 1/2 cups of hazelnut milk and 1/2 cup of almond coconut milk)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 chopped apple
- 1 chopped pear
- 1/4 cup pumpkin
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- Granola (optional, I used pumpkin pie spice granola from Whole Foods)

Directions

- Preheat oven to 375 F
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients. I mixed the dry ingredients first and then added the wet ingredients and combined.
- Sprinkle some brown sugar and cinnamon on top if desired

Oatmeal going into the oven
                                                      
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden
- Let sit for 10 minutes to cool. Store in fridge.


                                      

1 comment: