August 7, 2012

Curried Cauliflower Carrot Soup with Baked Portobello Fries

While at Publix in the Greenwise section of the soup aisle, I saw they had some new organic soup options. One of the soups by Imagine Foods was Organic Carrot Almond Soup. I had no idea what I could use that as a base for...I have been experimenting more with organic box soup options using them as bases for pasta sauce, cooking flavored rice etc. I have seen curried carrots before in my local health foods store and I started to think that curry and cauliflower would be good additions to the soup.

The thing I love so much about this recipe I created is 1) it is easy 2) it is quick and 3) it is good for you. I decided to make Baked Portobello Fries as well from one of my favorite food blogs, www.inspiredtaste.net. I have had an obsession with making these delicious healthy fries since first having them while out to eat at Ciccio's in Tampa. They were served with a truffle aioli and were delicious but not cheap. You can't find them on their menu anymore but now you can make them at home yourself, while saving money and lowering you sodium content.

Curried Cauliflower Carrot Soup with Baked Portobello Fries

Curried Cauliflower Carrot Soup with Baked Portobello Fries and Honey Dijon Sauce

Prep Time: 15 Min
Cook Time: 35 Min

Ingredients

Soup
Imagine Foods Organic Carrot Almond Soup (Available at Publix)
- Head of Cauliflower, Chopped
- 1/2 cup Onion, Chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- Olive Oil
- Curry
- Cumin
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Ginger
- Sour Cream (Optional topping)

Portobello Fries
- 2 Portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Seasoning (I used a dash of pepper and garlic salt)
- Honey and Dijon Mustard (optional, I mixed for dipping sauce)

Directions

Soup
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- On a mixing bowl, mix the chopped cauliflower with about 1/2 tbs of olive oil and 1 tbs of curry.
- On a lightly greased baking sheet, spread out the cauliflower and roast in oven for 25 minutes.
- In a deep pan, saute on medium heat with a little olive oil: onion, garlic and spices. 5-8 min
- Add the box of soup to the pan and simmer on low.
- Once cauliflower is done, add to soup and let simmer.
- Continue to simmer on low while you make the fries.
- Serve in bowls and top with sour cream if desired.

Portobello Fries
- When cauliflower is done, leave the oven on and increase temperature to 425 F for the fries.  
- Wash the mushrooms and slice off the stems. Using a fork or spoon, scrape out the gills.
- Pat dry with a paper towel if necessary to remove moisture
- Slice the mushrooms in about 1/4 inch wide pieces
- Setup a breading station: flour, eggs and breadcrumbs
- Dip each mushroom slice into the flour, then eggs, then breadcrumbs
- Spread out on lightly greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with seasoning.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, turning once during baking
- Meanwhile, make a dipping sauce. I mixed about 2 tbs of dijon mustard with 3-4 tbs of honey.

Here is the original recipe for the baked portobello fries. I have made them before with other recipes, sauteing in a pan, but because these are baked they are delicious and good for you. This recipe only makes enough fries for about 2 people. I would suggest using more than 2 mushrooms if you want more fries because they are addicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment