August 27, 2012

Chicken and Brie Frittata with Honey Walnuts and Spinach

Tonight I strayed a little from my aspiring vegetarian/vegan diet because I had some leftover hormone-free chicken and brie cheese in the fridge. I made a Grilled Chicken Marsala Pasta the other night and went ahead and grilled the extra chicken for a future use. I didn't want to be wasteful with the half slice of brie cheese I had leftover in my fridge either. More often than not by the time I make use of the cheese I have again, it is already starting to mold. I hate throwing away cheese because it is so pricey to begin with!
I googled "chicken and brie recipes" to see what ideas I could stir up and the first one on the list was from Williams-Sonoma, so you know it's good! I changed several things based on what I had on hand and the end result was a savory and sweet frittata. Yum!




Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 20 Min

Ingredients

- Olive Oil
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 7 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup of cooked chicken (I used grilled but roasted would be good too) optional*
- 1/2 slice of Brie Cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup almond coconut milk (you could easily substitute any milk here)
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tbs honey
- Strawberry garnish, optional
- Parmesan, optional topping

*NOTE* The chicken is optional, I actually prefer the frittata without meat because the brie, honey and walnuts are SO good on their own. I did half with chicken and half without for variety.


Directions

- In a deep saute pan, saute garlic and onion on medium heat with a little olive oil until tender about 6 minutes
- Once sauteed, add the spinach to the pan and stir for about 2 minutes until slightly wilted
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add the brie cheese, milk and salt/pepper. Add the spinach and onion mixture.
- In the same saute pan, pour the egg mixture and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Using a rubber spatula to lift the cooked edges and allow the uncooked eggs to flow underneath.
- Meanwhile, in a larger or of same size pan, saute the walnuts with some olive oil and honey on medium heat until toasted. Stir occasionally to toss. Remove and set aside.
- When the eggs are almost set, loosen the edges and underneath a little with a thin spatula. Place the other pan, upside down, over top of it and flip the frittata into it. Continue to cook on the other side on medium heat for about 6 minutes.



- Slice the frittata and serve. Top with walnuts, parmesan, strawberry and drizzle with a little honey. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment