August 14, 2012

Barbecue Tofu and Pumpkin Mac n' Cheese

I should have titled this blog, How Not To Make Your Own Shell Pasta. When I decided I wanted to make Pumpkin Mac n' Cheese this week, I also decided I would try to make my own shell pasta. If you are going to make your own pasta for the first time 1) follow a recipe and 2) always have some backup store bought pasta. I had a lot of fun making the shell pasta but unfortunately, I did not follow a recipe, I made it the same way I make ravioli dough. First mistake. Ravioli dough ends up getting run through a pasta maker which thins it out really well. If you decide to shape it into little shells, the dough ends up being really thick. Most shell/orecchiette pasta recipes require no egg. Second mistake. I also used a combination of wheat and semolina flour, third mistake, regular unbleached white would have worked best. Although my shell pasta looked really nice, it was just a little too thick to enjoy or use. Lucky for me I did buy some gluten free elbows just in case :)

Making my own Shell Pasta

I have made Pumpkin Mac n' Cheese in the past with your basic cream and milk and some Fontina cheese (which is delicious by the way!) This time I used some alternative milks and a Havarti with Peppadew Peppers from Whole Foods. The peppers give the sauce a nice spice and the Havarti makes it gooey and creamy, yum! The Barbecue Tofu was easy and very tasty. I sauteed it in the pan with the veggies but you could also just put it right on the grill and baste it with barbecue sauce which would be equally as tasty. Make sure you buy the firm/extra firm tofu so it stays intact. I served it all with some grilled corn on the cob which I topped with some homemade Jalapeno Lime Butter. Just mix some butter, chopped jalapenos, garlic and lime. Put in the freezer on wax paper until ready to serve. Slice and spread on the hot grilled corn, so good!



Barbecue Tofu, Pumpkin Mac n' Cheese and Grilled Corn with Jalapeno Lime Butter

Barbecue Tofu, Pumpkin Mac N' Cheese and Grilled Corn with Jalapeno Lime Butter


Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 40 Min

Ingredients

Pumpkin Mac n Cheese
- 10 to 12 ounces of pasta (elbows or shells) about 3/4 a box
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 cups of hazelnut milk (any milk would do, you could also do 1 cup of cream and 1 cup of milk)
- 1 cup of cheese (I used Havarti with Peppadew Peppers, Fontina is also a good choice)
- 1 can of organic pumpkin
- 2 tsp of cinnamon (optional)
- salt/pepper to taste
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Parmesan/Pecorino grated cheese (optional topping)
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts

Barbecue Tofu
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 package of organic tofu, sliced
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (I used Annie's Naturals, Chipotle Hot Sauce)


Directions

- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil, cook pasta according to directions
- In a large saucepan, saute the garlic clove with 2 tbs of butter and flour. Whisk to form a roux
- Add the salt/pepper, cinnamon and milk, bring to a small boil.
- Reduce to low and continue to whisk occasionally until thickened
- Add the cheese and pumpkin, stir to combine


- Once pasta is cooked, drain and add to sauce mixture


- Pour macaroni in a lightly greased casserole dish
- Top with breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and walnuts
- Bake covered with aluminum foil for 30 minutes



- While macaroni is baking, in a large saute pan, sautee garlic, onion, bell pepper, celery and curry with a little olive oil. About 5 minutes.
- Add in chopped tofu and continue sauteing for about 10-12 minutes on medium heat


- Add barbecue sauce, stir to coat and reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes


- Serve tofu with mac n' cheese and grilled corn if desired. Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. I think you should invite me over for dinner next time you make this ;) - Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do! :) Nick and I were eating good last night.

    ReplyDelete